Barefoot Massage Training FAQ
Where to stay
However I recomend first AirBnB. Several past students have found some great deals here. Just look fror places close to downtown Spokane.
Uber is a simple and affordbale way to travel from your place to class.
Directions to THE SPACE
THE SPACE is at 201 W Riverside Ave, Spokane, WA 99201.
The entrance, however, is right around the corner near salon ten on Browne. There is a keypad on the door, you don't have to do anything withit, but you ARE in the right place.
There is parking available on the street surrounding the building and is generally easy to find.
Meters accept coins or you can enter your infomraiton into the cities parking app Passport Parking. The parking app enables you to easily pay by phone at most metrs in Spokane. I HIGHLY recomend downloading and setting up this app before coming to class.
What to bring
For each day of class you will need:
- 1 Top & bottom sheet
- 1 Face cradle cover
- 1 Wash cloth or kitchen sized towels
- 1 King pillow
- 2 King Pillow Cases
- 1 Blanket (Linen rentals are available for $10/set)
Also, please bring the following:
- Clean flip flops (other than the shoes you wear to class)
- Holster & your favorite lotion or creme
- Foot sanitizer & soft pedicured feet!
By signing up for one of my classes, your deposit serves as a commitment to train and that you agree to the Cancellation Policy.
There are absolutely no refunds for courses attended.
Non-Refundable deposits of 50% are required to hold your space in class. Your deposit will not be refunded if you cancel out of your selected workshop dates. Only in the event of proper documentation of injury, pregnancy, death in the immediate family, or extreme weather prohibiting travel (airports and highways closed) will your deposit be allowed to be rolled over to a workshop at a later date. This special consideration will be allowed by the discretion of the Ashiatsu instructor.
If you have other circumstances besides those listed above, you may roll your tuition over to the next Ashiatsu course offered at a later date by Mariah Neeson, by giving at least 15 days’ notice and paying a $75 fee per class that you wish to roll over. Any notice less than 15 days is not eligible for rollover – unless the situation can be documented as mentioned above (injury, pregnancy, death in the immediate family, or weather prohibiting travel.)
THE SPACE / Mariah Neeson will happily refund all money for any cancelled seminars due to our responsibility – such as if the class minimum enrollment requirements are not met. We reserve the right to cancel class 2 weeks prior to the event should there not be enough interest and minimums not met – Class minimum is 4 students. For any class held outside of Spokane, class minimum is 6 students.
If registration is low enough for the instructor to choose to cancel class, you will be notified by phone 2 weeks prior to the scheduled dates. In the rare event that this happens, we can either refund all money paid towards classes, or roll you into the next scheduled class.
Bar Construction, Installation and Equipment
I will teach you in class e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g that you will need to know to build your overhead bar support. Please DO NOT build your bars prior to class. There are some specific measurements and safety guidelines that go along with using the bars that we will discuss together. For liability reasons I cannot provide this information before class. Many massage therapists have had to completely re-build their bars after taking our courses because they jumped the gun and installed them before hand. Save yourself time, money and stress… just wait! I’ll show you how when we meet.
Equipment standards are a large part of the safety involved with our technique. Training centers are equipped with Earthlite’s “Spirit” massage tables and “Flex-rest” face cradle platforms, which have a 800 pound working weight capacity and offer the utmost padding for comfort. Strong enough to hold you, your client, and the movement created during the protocol, comfy enough to fall asleep.
The overhead bar apparatus in class are built to commercial grade code, and support well over 1000 pounds in weight – even though we don’t dangle from the bars like monkeys, it’s very nice to know that our rigging is strong and can hold us up if the entire class decides to do a pull up on their bars!
We’ll teach you in class how to build safe and sturdy bars for your own use, and we’ll discuss the many makes and models of massage tables appropriate for using during a session. Discounts on Earthlite products available – please email Mariah.
Contraindications for Ashiatsu Massage
Read on to see what major “tissue issues” may not be appropriate for receiving Barefoot massage.
Ashiatsu is Deep Tissue without the pain
* If you are a woman that is pregnant or trying to get pregnant * If you’ve had breast/pectoral/gluteal/calf implants or any form of augmentation/enhancement within nine months * If you’ve had recent eye procedures/Lasik surgery within 72 hours * If you have a history of Tuberculosis, thrombosis, aneurysm, or ongoing kidney disorders. * If you are currently going through radiation therapy treatments. * If you’ve had any knee, hip, spine, shoulder, or major joint surgeries within 6 weeks * If you have a current flare up of phlebitis or cellulitis * Any active Autoimmune Disorders (such as lupus, gout, rheumatoid arthritis, Multiple Sclerosis, etc) and Lyme disease * If you are currently taking any blood thinners, steroids, cortisone, anti-inflammatories, pain killers, or muscle relaxants * If you have uncontrolled high blood pressure or heart condition * If you have a pacemaker, stint or shunt * If you’ve had a rib or any bone fracture/break within 6 months * If you have been diagnosed with Osteoporosis * If you have been diagnosed spondylolithesis * If you have Guillian-Barre’ Syndrome, have been diagnosed any active neuropathy of severe pain and numbness, or if you have any neurological disorder that causes loss of sensation or muscle weakness
* If you have been on a plane flight longer than 6 hours within the last 24 hours prior to your massage appointment. * If you are sick. (If we get sick, then we have to reschedule everyone!) * If you don’t even like deep pressure during your massages, then this isn’t for you- our work is intended to be deeper than deep tissue. Heeling Sole is not a frou-frou spa, and although the massages are relaxing, barefoot massage is not performed at a light depth. Ashiatsu is equivalent to a sports massage, and you may experience the intensity felt during an AIRROSTI or Rolfing treatment. Go deep or go home! * If you weigh less than 130 pounds (ROM is OK for most any weight, but not Ashiatsu.) * If you are under 18 years old. We do not massage minors, so we can refer you to a hands-on massage therapist instead.
Issues that we need to know about
The following situations do weigh heavily on your massage. Although we may not need to reschedule your appointment completely based off of any of these, it will definitely shape the plan of action I take during your session, and I need to know about “stuff”.
* If you have any extra hardware installed (IUD, joint replacements, fusions, rods, plates, screws, alien probes, etc) * If you are diabetic, hypoglycemic or a hemophiliac and on medication * If you have been diagnosed with any stage of a herniated/bulging/slipped disc. We will need to know if you were actually diagnosed with this issue, or if you just think that’s what has happened. * If you have spinal stenosis, spondylitus, spondylosis (Any “spondy”!) * If you’ve had any recent injuries (Dislocations, sprains, strains, bumps, bruises, whiplash, etc) * If you’ve had recent injections of substances at joint or muscle junctures (Botox, saline, nerve block, epidural, corticosteroid, even birth control.) We CANNOT massage the area immediately surrounding, and in some cases distal, or further out the limb, from any injection site. Doing so may reverse the effects of your shot and may cause harm to your muscle tissue. * If you have had any kind of surgery ever – depending on the situation and how long it’s been, I may need a doctors approval, and I usually prefer that you completely finish your Physical/Occupational Therapy series prior to your session with me. * If you have been diagnosed with Osteopenia (early stage of Osteoporosis)
We need to know if you are experiencing:
* Heavy menstrual cramping or abnormal flow cycle * Irritable Bowel Syndrome * A flare up of diverticulitis or any digestive issues * Low grade fever * Any acute intense pain that does not subside * Numbness or tingling in any area. * Any contagious rashes, warts, foot fungus, skin infection
Learn Ashiatsu for a better tomorrow!
Training and Use Agreement
The Center for Barefoot Massage and FasciAshiTM is a barefoot massage technique created using deep tissue, myofascial release,
trigger point massage therapy methods, movements and theories to improve the client’s postural alignment, joint range, muscle
responsiveness, overall myofascial and musculoskeletal function and health, as well as provide protocols for pain relief and stress
reduction. As a practice, it is compromised as a set of unique and proprietary foundational and structural techniques, strokes and
sequences, all of which include the use of massage therapists feet, body weight, gravity and overhead bar support while on a
massage table, using lubrication to glide across the client’s skin. It is the unique combination of these practices in deep, barefoot
compressive strokes that comprise the core benefits of the technique, by engaging soft tissue
The Center for Barefoot Massage and FasciAshiTM as brands are comprised of a proprietary set of trademarks, logos, and designs.
These, along with its copyright materials such as handouts, manuals, posters, media, online resources and other intellectual
property is and shall remain in full ownership of The Center for Barefoot Massage, LLC.
By attending our training workshops you will be a part of our professional family. As such, we have quality assurance and
maintenance considerations to prevent mock-off instructional programs. It is essential that the purity of this work and the high- quality teaching standards established for this curriculum be upheld and honored for the continued respect of this lineage, as well as
for the growth and support of our loyal FasciAshi practitioners.
By taking this training, you agree to the following:
• That only by becoming a Certified FasciAshiTM Therapist, can you present yourself as a “Certified FasciAshi Barefoot Massage
Therapist.” Taking this training does not automatically certify you as a FasciAshiTM practitioner and thus you will not imply
that you are such, or any similar designation, in any material unless you have been fully certified, in any level, by The Center
for Barefoot Massage as a certified practitioner.
• This training does not qualify or certify you to teach FasciAshiTM within any environment where you certify or train others in
any capacity to utilize these protocols, sequences, techniques or methods. Attending our workshops or acquiring our
materials does not qualify you, or give permission to teach or present the FasciAshiTM format, and thus you will not imply
that you are such, or any similar designation, in any format unless you have successfully passed our instructor training
program that leads to status as a FasciAshiTM Instructor and have written consent from the creative forces behind The
Center for Barefoot Massage, LLC.
• That you will not photocopy, publish, reprint, share or broadcast any materials from the training, in part or in whole,
without the expressed written consent of its copyright holder, The Center for Barefoot Massage, LLC.
• Audio and video recording, as well as photographs of the class materials or techniques, are not permitted in any workshop.
• That you will not use the protocols and techniques within this training in any form of media without the expressed written
consent of The Center for Barefoot Massage, LLC.